19 January 2006

Maud Newton: Blog

Maud Newton: Blog
In this entry, Maud and her readers talk about their first literary crushes - thanks to a related Slate article -- maybe books they fell in love with or that changed the way they looked at books.

Do you have one?

I started with my literary crushes early and can still, quite clearly, remember the action and feel of reading Charlotte's Web, The Trumpet of the Swan, Stuart Little (all by E. B. White), and The Five Little Peppers and How They Grew (by Margaret Sydney) in oh, about maybe 2nd grade. And then, in about 4th grade, I graduated to the big time: Tolkien's Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, which I've read every summer since then.

I loved how the books transported me to a different place, let me see how other people lived and thought, and then quite clearly showed me how little difference there is between those people and me, when you got right down to it.

Those were probably my first crushes, but by no means my last.

No comments: